Naturopathic IV (intravenous, or into a vein) therapy consists of various mixes and concentrations of vitamins, minerals and other nutrients. It can be very useful for people with high nutrient requirements, those who are unable to absorb nutrients, and in situations where a person is not responding to oral nutrients and other therapies.
The ingredients in an IV bag are determined based on an individual’s requirements and deficiencies. The goal of the therapy is to provide the patient with all the necessary nutrients the body requires to function optimally.
A typical nutrient IV can take anywhere from 30 minutes to 1.5 hours to complete. People respond differently to IV therapy, although some of the immediate benefits include an increase in energy and improved immune function.
IV therapy can be used as a treatment for various concerns and illnesses as a way to boost and promote optimal health.
IV nutrients go directly to the bloodstream, bypassing the digestive tract and any potential issues with reduced absorption. The nutrients given are preservative free and allow for higher doses than what can typically be tolerated orally.
The IV protocols I commonly use include:
Myers Cocktail – a blend of vitamins and minerals tailored to the individual; generally includes B vitamins, magnesium, vitamin c, zinc, and selenium; given to boost energy and promote optimal wellness; ideal for anyone suffering from high levels of stress, fatigue, digestive issues, and overall feel run down and in need of a boost.
EDTA Chelation -Chelation (key-lation) therapy involves repeated administration of IV nutrients along with EDTA, a synthetic amino acid that has been shown to reduce atherosclerotic plaque and other toxic mineral/metal deposits in the body. Chelation therapy is useful as a treatment & prevention strategy for heart disease as well as high heavy metal burden.
A few symptoms of heavy metal toxicity include headaches, unexplained muscle pain and fatigue, depression, fatigue, weakened immune function, allergies, etc. High levels of lead, mercury, aluminum, and other toxic metals, respond well to chelation therapy.
Elimination of toxic metals from the body has been shown to reduce the risk of heart disease, which is currently the #1 health problem for both men and women in North America.
High dose Vitamin C – used to support immune function; extremely effective as part of an integrative approach to cancer.
Magnesium therapy – delivers therapeutic doses of this magnificent mineral which is involved in over 300 chemical reactions in the body; magnesium deficiency can cause muscle cramps, restless legs, anxiety, sleep disturbances, pain, headaches, PMS, and more.
Ozone therapy –
Dr. Melissa Blake is certified in ozone therapy. She received her advanced training during the certification course offered by world leader in the field, Dr. Frank Shallenberger, MD.
The following is an excerpt from Dr. Shallenberger’s website:
Ozone therapy is a unique form of therapy that both heals and detoxifies at the same time. It is used to treat a variety of chronic diseases, including:
- Cardiovascular disease
- Cancer (as part of an integrative plan, ozone has been shown to improve response to conventional treatments, reduce side effects, and improve outcomes)
- Lyme disease
- Chronic hepatitis
- Herpes and other stubborn viral infections
- Chronic fatigue states
- Chemical sensitivity
- Macular degeneration
- Chronic bladder conditions
- Inflammatory bowel diseases
- Auto-immune diseases
What is Ozone?
The oxygen you breathe is present in the air as a pair of oxygen atoms. This is the most stable form of oxygen, and it’s colorless. Ozone is a blue colored form of oxygen (it’s what makes the sky blue), and unlike regular oxygen, it is composed of three oxygen atoms instead of two.It is the addition of the third oxygen atom that makes ozone “supercharged” oxygen, and gives it all of its remarkable medical properties.
The use of ozone to treat various medical conditions was first developed in Germany in the early 1950’s. Today, medical ozone therapy is common throughout Europe, and its use has gradually been spreading in America over the last 25 years.
Ozone is toxic, isn’t it?
Anything, including water and oxygen, is toxic if given in amounts that exceed the body’s capacity to utilize it. Ozone is found naturally in the body. The white cells make it as part of the immune response.Pure medical grade ozone, when it is used according to the established medical guidelines, has a safety record that is unparalleled.
Medical properties of ozone:
Ozone has five properties that account for why it works so well not only for macular degeneration, but also for most other chronic age related conditions as well:
- Ozone is a potent regulator of the immune system. This means that when the immune system is overactive (as in auto-immune disease), ozone will calm it down. Conversely, when the immune system is under active as in cancer, AIDS, and chronic infections, ozone will stimulate it. This unique ability of ozone stems from its action on the membranes of white cells that causes them to produce immune related messenger molecules called cytokines. Examples of cytokines are gamma interferon, interleukin-2, colony stimulating factor, and TNF-alpha just to name a few.
- Ozone stimulates increased uptake of oxygen by stimulating the enzyme diphosphoglycerate (DPG). DPG enables the release of oxygen from the hemoglobin molecule so that it can be taken up into the cell.In the absence of an adequate amount of DPG, our cells become starved for oxygen.This is a common problem in diabetics.
- Ozone improves circulation. It does this by enhancing the flow characteristics of blood as a liquid. This effect enables more of the oxygen carrying hemoglobin to reach the capillaries where ultimately the cells will receive more of the oxygen they require. Many patients with chronic inflammatory conditions have impaired circulation.
- Ozone increases antioxidant protection more than any other therapy including vitamin C. Most people with chronic disease have deficient antioxidant defenses.
- Ozone is a powerful mitochondrial stimulant. The fundamental underlying cause behind all degenerative disease from diabetes to heart disease to cancer is decreased mitochondrial energy production. Ozone can often correct this problem.
How is ozone used medically?
Ozone therapy should only be used by professionals who have been fully trained in its use. Doctors who want such training can receive it from Dr. Shallenberger, who offers training sessions twice a year in the United States and internationally.
Autotherapy is the most common, and in most cases the most effective way ozone is administered. The patient sits in a chair and has from 6-12 ounces of blood removed into a sterilized bottle.Then ozone is injected into the bottle, and the bottle is gently shaken, allowing the red and white blood cells to take up the ozone. The ozonated blood is then returned to the body. The entire procedure takes about 30-40 minutes.
Is ozone for me?
This is a decision for a doctor who is trained and experienced in the medical use of ozone. Some conditions simply will not clear up unless ozone is used, and of course many conditions will clear up without ozone. Because of its many therapeutic properties, ozone can be used as part of a therapeutic plan for almost every disease.
It is invaluable in the treatment of heart disease and circulatory disorders.Chronic infections such as hepatitis-C, herpes, Lyme, and AIDS respond very favorably to ozone.It is also very helpful in chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyalgia, and autoimmune diseases.
It is important to realize that ozone therapy is not a panacea or some kind of magic bullet. Although it is often an indispensable modality, it is only rarely effective by itself. In the great majority of cases it must be combined with an individualized program of other alternative and natural therapies, such as nutrition and detoxification.
For more information or to book a consultation to discuss your medical options, please call 506-857-1300.
For more information on the IV and chelation services offered at the Pear Tree Naturopathic Clinic , please call us or inquire at your next visit.
To book your appointment or for further information about treatments and fees, contact The Pear Tree at 857.1300 or visit our FAQs page.